Jonathan Majors‘ sentencing has been postponed to a new date. The delay comes after his defense team filed a motion to delay the hearing.
A six-person jury found Majors guilty of reckless assault in the third degree, a misdemeanor, and harassment last December. The charges stemmed from an incident involving him and his ex-girlfriend, Grace Jabbari, in which he injured her after she discovered a text on his phone suggesting he was cheating.
Jonathan Majors’ Sentencing Delayed For Two Months
Majors was initially set to receive his sentence on February 6, 2024. However, it has now been postponed to April 6 as his defense team filed a motion on Monday to set aside the verdict.
According to a report, the “Creed III” actor appeared virtually for the hearing before the prosecutors argued that they needed more time to respond to the motion.
The case, which garnered widespread attention, revolves around charges brought against Majors by his Ex-girlfriend, Grace Jabbari, for an incident that occurred last year.
Jabbari disclosed in her testimony that while they were sitting in the back seat of an SUV, she discovered a text that read “Oh how I wish to be kissing you,” suggesting he was cheating on her and grabbed the phone from the actor.
Majors then proceeded to allegedly strike her on her head and injure her in the process of trying to get his phone back.
Jonathan Majors Was Found Guilty Of Assault
In a December hearing, a six-person jury found the former Marvel star guilty of reckless assault in the third degree and guilty of harassment. The verdict came after a long trial that spanned several days.
At the time, Majors wore a grey suit and black dress shirt and tie to court, and was in the company of his attorneys, family members, and his new girlfriend, actress Meagan Good.
He was cleared of intentional assault in the third-degree charges and was not found guilty of aggravated harassment in the second-degree.
In a statement after the verdict, his attorney, Priya Chaudhry, said Majors “looks forward to fully clearing his name.”
She continued, “Mr. Majors is grateful to God, his family, his friends, and his fans for their love and support during these harrowing eight months.”
The Actor Was Criticized By Legal Experts For His Interview On ‘GMA’
Last January, the actor gave an interview on “Good Morning America” in an attempt to “be brave and take responsibility” for his account, where he declared his innocence.
He denied Jabbari’s allegations, adding that he had never hit a woman or partook in domestic violence in his previous relationships. He seemingly maintained his innocence, declaring that he didn’t know where Jabbari sustained the injuries and maintained that he had “no question” as to him being the cause.
“I shouldn’t have been in the car. I shouldn’t have stepped out of the relationship. I shouldn’t have been in the relationship,” he said. “If I’m not in the car, none of this is happening.”
The move raised eyebrows from legal experts, who noted that the actor’s actions are “very unusual,” as most defendants would rather not give an interview between conviction and sentencing because of fears it may affect the outcome.
According to THR, Majors was previously tipped to avoid a jail sentence, but his interview seemed to have changed that dynamic as opined by Cary London, who is a civil rights and criminal defense attorney at Shulman & Hill.
“The judge has a wide variety of tools at his disposal at sentencing, including anger management, community service, other programming, and jail time. If the defendant says anything to piss off the judge or insults the integrity of the judicial system, I could easily see the judge giving him a taste of jail,” London said.
Jonathan Majors Is Still Hopeful On His Hollywood Career
Elsewhere in his interview on “Good Morning America,” Majors shared his optimism about continuing with his Hollywood Career.
The actor was asked if he believed he’d work in Hollywood again, to which he replied, “Yeah, I do. I pray I do.”
He also expressed his “shock” over the verdict, saying, “How is that possible? Based off the evidence, based off the prosecution’s evidence, let alone our evidence.”
Since his conviction in December, his career has suffered a downturn. Marvel studios dropped him from their upcoming film, “Avengers: The Kang Dynasty,” as well as his PR firm, The Lede Company, and his managers at Entertainment 360.
#Date #Jonathan #Majors #Sentencing #Date #Revealed #Team #Delayed